Monday, April 5, 2010

Bangkok et le Laos Mars 2010


I just got back from Bangkok and Laos . I stayed with a nephew in Bangkok,he has been working there for 20 years so I had a good guide. It's an amazing city,a contrast between ulta modern skyscrapers and poor areas and all very active and busy. I loved the boat rides on the "water taxi" and on the Chao Phraya river, not to mention Chinatown at night, the splendid Wats, the little markets eveywhere and the weather!

Then François joined me and we left for a tour in Laos. We had an exciting time going down the Mekong for 2 days.
There wasn't enough water on the first day for a proper boat so we took a "speed boat",a canoe propelled by a car engine and canisters of gaz and skimmed along. The second day we had a "traditional boat",a sort of barge for the two of us and our guide and had a lovely 10 hr sail to Luang Prabang.



Luang Prabang is a nice quiet town,interesting temples,good markets,friendly people.

The thing is you are in a thin smoky atmosphere all the time because of the fields being burnt before planting at the rainy season. Great patches of mountain are logged and burnt every year. Not good for views!

Then on to Vang Vieng across mountains on a very twisty road. Vang Vieng was full of stoned young americans with painted legs who go there to do rafting and tubbing and who watch "Friends" in the bars! Very strange!
And finally the capital Vientiane,also beautiful temples and people with an attitude as every good capital should have.
Now we are back in Paris in the cold and damp as I expect you all are too.

No comments:

Post a Comment